The Top 5 Historical Places to Visit Near Brandon, MS
There is so much to experience near Brandon, Mississippi, including a deep, proud history that spans hundreds of years. If you’re a history buff with an eye toward exploration, check out our list of the top 5 Brandon historical places you simply must see while you’re in town.
History Comes Alive in These Brandon Historical Places
Whether you’re a fan of architecture, history, or long to see the daily workings of life in a time gone by, you’ll find it in and around Brandon:
- Hebron Academy: Also known as the Rock Hill School, the Hebron Academy was built between 1860 and 1861, and is a rare example of 19th-century vernacular masonry architecture. The structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
- Stevens-Buchanan House: Also known as The Magnolias, the gracious Stevens-Buchanan house is a stunning example of Greek revival architecture built in the antebellum tradition. It is significant not only for its timeless design but also as the birthplace and lifelong residence of Susan Blue Buchanan, the first female to practice law before the Supreme Court of the state of Mississippi.
- Eudora Welty House: Located at 11199 Pinehurst St. in Jackson, Mississippi, the Welty house and gardens pay tribute to the internationally-acclaimed writer who was renowned the world over for her wit, intelligence, and writing style.
- Chapel of the Cross: Located in Mannsdale, just a short drive from Madison, Mississippi, the 19th-century Episcopalian church drew its design from 14th-century English country churches and was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1972.
- Brandon Historic District: With sites that include Wilkinson Cottage and the old Brandon Cemetery, visitors can wander for hours taking in the history of the region and learning about its past inhabitants and how they lived.
Explore Brandon Historical Places in a New Honda
Our suggestions only scratch the surface. Rankin County history runs deep, but you can’t see it all by foot. Contact Bob Boyte Honda at 601-591-5000 or visit our showroom at 2188 Highway 18 in Brandon, Mississippi to explore our inventory of capable new and used cars and learn about the financing options that can get you where you need to go today. We can even help you find the best barbecue restaurants in Jackson, MS or florists in Brandon!