How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s known all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently towards you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Bob Boyte Honda
Remember that our Brandon service department is always here to help, whether you need to know your CR-V maintenance schedule or have repair questions about your Accord. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or simply visit our dealership in Brandon today!
Our Service Specials
We are currently updating our Service Specials. Please check back soon.
Recent News From Bob Boyte Honda
When it comes to finding the right SUV, aside from performance and safety, you want a model that matches your style and can keep you looking your best no matter where the road takes you. With the 2020 Honda CR-V color options, you’ll have plenty of exterior and interior choices along with plenty of additional…
When you get behind the wheel of a Honda van you want to ensure that you not only have all of the performance specs and cabin space for a smooth, comfortable ride, you also want plenty of safety features to have your back. That’s why the 2020 Honda Odyssey safety ratings display this model’s unique…
Whether hauling furniture around Madison or carpooling to school in Ridgeland, a great SUV has all the space you need to easily accomplish any task of the day. And if you want a vehicle with serious versatility, then the 2020 Honda CR-V dimensions will blow you away. Not only do the CR-V interior dimensions offer…