Checklist for Buying Used Vehicles
Let’s be real: car shopping for used vehicles can seem overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Bob Boyte Honda has created a used car buying checklist to take the stress out of finding your next car, from Madison to Ridgeland.
- Create a budget
- Prioritize features
- Go through a dealership
- Ask the important questions to experienced staff
- Inspect the vehicle
- Go for a test drive
- Get a vehicle history report
Whether shopping for a used Honda Civic or a used Honda Odyssey, if you follow these tips you can find a pre-owned vehicle you will love for years to come.
Your Used Car Buying Checklist
- Create a budget: Setting a budget keeps you from getting in to trouble. Consider monthly payments, as well as total cost you are will to pay. Also, value your trade to see what you can expect to get when trading in your current car.
- Prioritize features: Create a list of must-haves and would-be-nice-to-haves when looking for your next vehicle.
- Research: There are plenty of used vehicles out there, so research models in your chosen class (i.e., sedan or SUV), then make a list of top options. You can check prices online using resources like Kelley Blue Book.
- Shop at a dealership: Avoid getting scammed by that too good to be true Craigslist ad. Dealerships offer plenty of used vehicles under $10,000, and you’ll also discover a selection of Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) models, which offer the additional security of a warranty.
- Ask the important questions: Make sure you know if the car you are interested in has been in an accident, how many owners it’s had, current condition, and how many miles are on the odometer.
- Inspect the vehicle: Test out lights, windows, and electronics to make sure they are in working order. Give a thorough inspection for rust, floor damage, or signs of repair.
- Go for a test drive: When taking a test drive, don’t just go around the block. Try a test drive from Brandon to Clinton to get the feel for how the vehicle really handles. Ideally, try to get up to 60 mph to make sure you vehicle performs well at higher speeds.
- Get a vehicle history report: Get a history report from reliable sources like CARFAX or Autocheck to find out valuable vehicle information. All you need is the vehicle’s 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
Browse Our Used Vehicle Inventory at Bob Boyte Honda
You should find a wide selection of used Honda vehicles and non-Honda vehicles in our inventory. Contact us today to get started.
Latest News from Bob Boyte Honda
Honda is proud to provide its customers with a warranty worth bragging about. You can be confident in the purchase of your next Honda knowing that this warranty will keep your car in action on the roads in and around Madison for years to come. Learn more about the Honda warranty in this guide from…
The 2019 Honda Insight is making it easier than ever for Madison drivers to go green. This fun and planet-friendly hybrid helps you get around with fewer stops at the pump, saving you time and money. Learn more about how to get the most out of your Insight fuel economy! Honda Hybrids The Honda Insight…
The 2019 Honda Clarity offers multiple eco-friendly options for Madison drivers who are extra conscious about their environmental footprint. In addition to providing little to no emissions, this innovative vehicle also achieves excellent fuel economy, with the plug-in hybrid receiving an EPA-estimated 340 miles* combined range. Learn more about how this technology can get you…